Strengthening Your Hamstrings
MOVE OF THE MONTH DECEMBER ISSUE 2011
For many of us we sit all day causing us to develop underused hamstrings along with weak glutes and
core muscles. This can lead to muscle imbalances, poor posture and low back pain.
WAYS TO STRENGTHEN YOUR HAMSTRINGS AND GLUTES
The Single-Leg RDL is a simple and eﬀective exercise for strengthening your hamstrings and glutes, as well as a way to improve ﬂexibility and balance. The Single-Leg RDL can easily be integrated into your daily exercise routine. The move takes less than ﬁve minutes to complete.
• Stand with your legs shoulder width apart.
• Tighten the abdominal muscles to stabilize the spine.
• Bend at the hip, moving your body forward and down.
• Raise your left leg behind you while you lower your upper body towards the ground until your torso is parallel to the ﬂoor.
• Keep you head straight with your arms perpendicular to the ﬂoor.
• Maintain a ﬂat back as you lift your left leg. Avoid rotating your back as you lift your leg.
• Hold the position for 20-30 seconds. Relax and repeat with the other leg. Do 3 times for each leg.